Salad is the perfect flat-belly food, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make it juicy!
At this weekend’s cookout, may we suggest trading the gooey, creamy deli salads (like these diet disasters) for something light, clean and full of fruits and veggies?
A few of us IdealShape girls hand-picked our favorite salad recipes that will make you feel light, fresh, fabulous… and look great poolside this weekend. 😉
Red, White & Blue Salad
- Spinach as the greens
- Strawberries (cut into halves or 1/4’s)
- 1/4 cup sugar (Splenda is probably the better choice)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup red onion
Mix ingredients in blender until smooth. Add mixture with 1 cup canola oil and 1 tbs. poppy seeds. Top with feta cheese and optional honey glazed almonds or plain walnuts, and serve!
Black Bean Salad with Corn, Red Peppers and Avocado in a Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette
By Jennifer Segal
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 ears fresh cooked corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots, from one medium shallot
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, best quality such as Colavita
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (be sure to zest limes before juicing them)
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 Hass avocados, chopped
Combine all ingredients except for avocados in a large bowl and mix well. Cover and chill for a few hours or overnight. Right before serving, add avocados and mix gently, being careful not to mash avocados. Garnish with more chopped cilantro if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Chelsea’s (new) favorite…
Mango, black bean, Couscous salad
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Couscous (I use RiceSelect Organic Whole Wheat Couscous)
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tsp olive oil (10g)
- 1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 ripe mango chopped into small cubed
- Fresh Chives (about 2 tbsp diced)
- Fresh Cilantro (about 1/3 of a cup chopped)
- 1 hot pepper (like a jalapeño, I have NO idea what mine was but it was hot!) minced
What’s your favorite healthy salad recipe? Share it with us in the comments!