Hey there! Head Trainer and Nutritionist Kami here.
I’d like to complain for a minute…it’s sooooooooo much easier to gain weight than it is to lose it.
All you have to do is indulge yourself by eating whatever you have an appetite for whenever you feel like eating. And here’s the kicker, you can eat as much as you want!
Sounds like a dream come true.
But a dream is just what it is. There’s no way to indulge your appetite to the extreme and still end up with a body you’re happy with. Life just doesn’t work that way.
It’s time to face reality. If you want to lose weight, you’re going to have to learn to control your appetite and stop indulging. And the indulgences aren’t just limited to food–there’s a lot of lifestyle changes that need to happen if you want to control your appetite.
Thankfully, I’ve learned in my 10 plus years of training that little changes can add up to big results when it comes to appetite. This is what I like to have my clients focus on.
Here are five areas you that have a big influence on appetite control:
- Eat enough and eat well
- Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated
- Move often
- Get enough quality sleep
Let’s go into a little more detail on each one so you’ll know exactly what I mean.
Eat Enough and Eat Well
Are you shaking your head and wondering if you read that right? You’re trying to lose weight and the first advice you get is to eat… isn’t that the opposite of what needs to happen?
Nope! Eating is key to losing weight and controlling your appetite.
What to Eat
Regularly filling your body with healthy and nutritional foods will help your weight loss efforts. Try one of these 20 great foods for weight loss or use the following tips to help you change your diet:
- Take a look at the label: the fewer the ingredients the better.
- Start from scratch: what better way to avoid lots of ingredients than to make your own food. It’s easier than you think to make your meals from scratch and it usually tastes better and costs less. too. (A great place to start is by making your own spaghetti sauce–it’s quick, it’s easy and it tastes better than anything you can buy).
- Skip the sugar: Sugar is a major culprit when it comes to weight gain. If you can find ways to eliminate excess sugar from your diet you’ll be surprised at what the scale will do.
- Don’t eat out: Unless it’s a cheat meal leave the restaurant menu behind. You have more control over what you’re eating if you are in charge of preparing your food.
- Try something new: If you’re stuck buying the same packaged mixes to feed yourself and your family, try something different. You’ll be surprised with the variety of healthy, wholesome foods that are out there just waiting for you to give them a try. A great place to start is by trying a new fruit or vegetable.