Have you ever started a diet, super excited to make a new lifestyle change? You know the story–where you start off enthusiastically, but ultimately you get tired of salads and you return to your beloved burgers, chips, cookies, or whatever your guilty pleasure may be.
If you’ve started and failed a diet, know that you are not alone! In fact, you’re in the majority.
Failing to make your healthy lifestyle change can be extremely demotivating and can cause you to have even worse habits than before. You might even just completely give up and abandon your goals altogether!
IdealShape surveyed 55,385 people in a survey after they signed up for a weight loss challenge to ask about their history with diets and their success in achieving their goals. Through this research, we found that 75% of people surveyed have tried a diet in the past, but ultimately failed.
Digging further, we found the Top 6 reasons that people failed at their diet.
I want to help you fix your biggest struggles, so I teamed up with IdealShape and we came up with easy ways you can build up your healthy habits and stick to your new healthy lifestyle!
Share this Image On Your Site
35%: Not Enough Time/Too Busy
It was no surprise that the top reason people say they failed their diet was because they didn’t have enough time and they felt too busy! I get it, meal prepping and working out can be time consuming.
If you want to kick the habit of not having time to get healthy, try these tips:
- Pick one day and meal prep all of your food so you don’t have to do it all week
- Find a short workout that you can feasibly incorporate into your day–even ten minutes is better than nothing!
- Drink quick & easy meal replacement shakes! You can control your calories while still feeling full for up to three hours using IdealShakes.
33%: No Motivation
Working out and getting healthy is hard, and there’s no easy way around it. It can be nearly impossible to stick to a program if you don’t have the right kind of motivation. Here are some tips to finding that elusive motivation:
- Take time to figure out your “Why”. Why are you working out? Why are you changing what you are eating? Is it for your family, for yourself, for your job, or for your overall happiness? Let your “Why” motivate you!
- Write out a list of small goals you want to accomplish. Make them small enough that you can succeed quickly, but big enough that you will have to push yourself a bit.
- Get an accountability buddy! Ask your friends or family if they want to join you on the diet, or if they will help you stick to your program.
26%: Bad Eating or Fitness Habits
Maybe you decided to just get healthy and eat better, but you didn’t start following a detailed program to help you. That can actually hurt you in the long run, because you might be making poor choices! You might skip your workouts, or sneak bites of tasty treats that add up to way too many calories.
Some easy ways to fight bad fitness habits are:
- Start with short workouts from home, even 20 minutes at home with a workout video is better than skipping the hour gym sesh you had scheduled.
- Find easy recipes that incorporate tons of healthy veggies, whole grains, and lean meats.
- Find a fitness program that you LOVE, like the Free 15 Day IdealShape for Life Challenge! With the 15 Day IdealShape for Life Challenge, you get free workouts designed for fat loss, simple recipes and tips to meal prep, and exclusive access to an online support community. Everything you need to get on the right track to weight loss!
13%: No Support and Lack of Accountability
A poor support system (or complete lack of a support system) isn’t going to help you achieve your goals. You need people who are on your side and rooting for you to succeed.
To build up your support system and accountability, try these tips:
- Find a friend or family member who will follow a meal plan and workout with you.
- Track your progress in an app like MyFitnessPal.
- Join the IdealShape online support group through the 15 Day IdealShape for Life Challenge and connect with people just like you. You can also follow IdealShape on Facebook and Instagram for daily motivation and weight loss tips!
11%: Health Problems
There are all kinds of health problems, both physical and mental, that can keep you from achieving your weight loss goals. While these take time to overcome, we do have a few tips to get you started:
- Consult your doctor regularly about your progress, your goals, and what you can do to feel your best.
- Start small and celebrate all of the small victories!
8%: Lack of Results
If you aren’t seeing results on your diet at the rate that you were hoping, it can be super easy to decide to quit. Maybe you are focusing on the scale and not celebrating the non-scale victories!
Setting realistic goals is also important to seeing lasting results. If you want to lose 10 pounds in one week, you probably won’t be seeing those results at the speed you were hoping for.
Sometimes it takes longer to see lasting, healthy results, so take a look at these tips to stick to it:
- Whatever you do, KEEP GOING! Quitting is not an option here.
- Remember that results take time–you didn’t gain weight in one day, so you won’t be losing it one day either!
- Find a program you love and stick to it. It’s easier to keep going when you love what you’re doing and eating.
- Focus on Non-Scale Victories (NSVs). Maybe your jeans are fitting loser or you aren’t craving sugar as often!