It may not sound like protein and weight loss are linked, but actually eating more protein could be the key to losing weight.
Diets like Paleo and the Atkins are high in protein, which is reportedly why they are so successful. But is this just marketing or can protein actually help you to lose weight?
Protein And Weight Loss
Protein is a popular nutrient mainly for its ability to help build muscle. But the benefits of protein can extend to weight loss too. That’s because protein is one of the 3 basic macro-nutrients that our bodies need. It has a role to play in every structure and function in our body, including:
- Fighting antibodies
- Building cells in our muscles, bones, skin, and hair
- Allowing cells to communicate using hormones
- Transporting molecules around the body
But protein can also help our bodies to lose weight. It can:
- Reduce appetite and hunger levels
- Protein can reduce cravings and late night snacking
- Protein can boost metabolism and Increase fat burning
- Protein can help you lose weight and keep it off
How Much Protein Do I Need?
There are lots of different formulas floating around to help you figure out how much protein you need, and sometimes it can be confusing to know which information to trust!
I’ve been in the health, fitness and weight loss industry for over 10 years now and this is what I recommend:
- >160lbs = 1g/per pound of bodyweight
- 160-190 lbs = .9 g/per pound of bodyweight
- 190-225 lbs = .8 g/per pound of bodyweight
- 225 -250 lbs = .7g/per pound of bodyweight
- Over 250 lbs = .6 g/per pound of bodyweight
If you’re wondering how to figure out the amount of protein in any given food, the answer is easy: check the nutrition label.
It’s always on there. In the case of fruits, veggies, meats and other foods that don’t have labels a quick internet search should be able to give you the answers you need.
Sources of Protein
Protein is found in nearly every food, but it’s higher in some foods than others.
For example, a Big Mac packs a 25-gram protein punch, but it also includes a ton of unhealthy fats, a lot of sodium, and even sugar. You can get your protein from much healthier sources like…
- Nuts and seeds
- Greek yogurt, low-fat cottage cheese, and eggs
- Lean meats like chicken, turkey, and lean, grass-fed beef.
- Seafood including salmon, shellfish, tilapia, tuna, cod, and halibut
- Meal replacement shakes like IdealShake
If you’re trying to lose weight and up your protein without adding extra calories, consider using a meal replacement shake to help you meet your dieting and protein needs. IdealShake meal replacement shakes offer 11 grams of whey protein per serving, and also features a power hunger-blocking ingredient to keep you feeling full for hours!
The Best Source of Protein
It’s important to note that some proteins are better than others. One high-quality protein to consider is: Whey protein. Whey is the watery part of milk that separates from the curds when making cheese, and whey protein is the protein produced from that whey.
- Positively impacting blood sugar and diabetes
- Reducing swelling and inflammation
- Promoting fat loss
- Boosting metabolism
Unless you have a milk allergy, whey really is the highest quality protein you can consume!
How Can Protein Help You To Lose Weight?
The answer is yes! Eating more protein can help you to lose weight.
The key to losing weight is eating fewer calories. Protein can reduce hunger and keep you fuller for longer, which can help you eat fewer calories and lose weight!
IdealShake weight loss shakes make it super easy to get your protein in without even thinking about it. With tons of delicious flavors each packing 11 grams of protein, it’s hard to go wrong.