Hey guys, Trainer Kami here!
I don’t know about you, but I’m always on the lookout for healthy and filling snacks.
As a busy wife, mother, and personal trainer, it’s important to keep my body fueled and energy levels up so I can accomplish everything on my to-do list! I’m sure all of you can relate to that!
When I discovered healthy spring rolls (or also called summer rolls), I was immediately hooked.
Summer rolls are also called “fresh rolls,” or if you’re in a Vietnamese restaurant, you might find them going by “gỏi cuốn.” They’re made with a round piece of rice paper, wrapped around a selection of vegetables and a protein. And they’re not fried at all!
What’s more: summer rolls are very low calorie, with our version coming in at under 100 calories each! True to their name, summer rolls can be made without heating up your kitchen with a stove or oven: the hardest part is soaking the rice paper wrappers. They’re like little hand-held salads with plenty of satisfying crunch and refreshing flavor.
How To Make Healthy Spring and Summer Rolls
These aren’t the spring rolls you get from the Chinese takeout place, deep-fried and soaking oil through their wax-paper bags. Those may be delicious, but they’re also surefire diet-killers: the rolls at PF Chang’s tip the scales at 360 calories per serving, with 11 grams of fat! And the helping of veggies inside even a vegetarian spring roll is pretty meager, usually consisting of some wilted cabbage and maybe a couple of chopped mushrooms. Not the healthiest!
A fried spring roll should be a very occasional treat. But we have two amazing recipes that you can enjoy every single day.
Meet the summer roll and the healthy spring roll. I know, I know, it’s just now springtime. But these rolls are so healthy and so fresh that they’ll help you get summer-ready… and maybe even bikini-ready, too!
They’re crunchy, they’re yummy, and yet they’re under 200 calories each! What’s more, they have plenty of protein and a healthy serving of veggies for a great vitamin and mineral profile. Although you do have to heat up your oven to make these spring rolls, they bake for less than half an hour before they pop out of the oven crispy and ready to eat!
Ready to make some of these healthy snacks?
Baked Turkey Spring Rolls
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 medium carrot, grated
2 scrambled eggs, cooked
¼ c soy sauce
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
salt & pepper to taste
1 package of egg roll skins
½ small cabbage, sliced thin
1 medium onion, sliced thin
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
¼ c sesame oil
1 tsp olive oil
- Brown ground turkey, then drain. Add cabbage, carrot, and onion, and cook on medium heat. Stir and cover for about 10 minutes, then add honey, salt, pepper, sesame oil, soy sauce, eggs, and ginger.
- Stir, then cover. Cook about 20 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375. Add cornstarch and water mixture and cook 1 minute, then let cool.
- Add 2 tablespoons of filling near the corner of an egg roll skin and fold the corners in, roll, and seal with water. Repeat until there is no more filling.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place rolls on sheet and brush them with olive oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until golden. Serve with soy sauce for dipping.
Makes 15 Rolls. Serving Size: 1 Roll. Calories per serving: 188 / Carbs 18g / Fat 9g / Protein 9g
Summer Rolls w/ Spicy Avocado Dipping Sauce
10 rice paper roll skins
4 romaine lettuce leaves, torn into pieces
4-5 kale leaves, torn into pieces
1 avocado, sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, thinly sliced
10 grape tomatoes, sliced
¼ c Greek yogurt
½ jalapeno pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp water, or more if needed
- In a blender or food processor, blend together all dipping sauce ingredients. Add more water if too thick. Set aside.
- Have a large bowl or 9” round baking pan of warm water near you to dip rice wrappers in to soften. Dip wrapper until fully submerged for about 10-20 seconds. Wrapper should now be soft and pliable. Place onto solid surface such as a cutting board.
- Lay a couple of pieces of lettuce & kale, a piece of avocado, 2-3 pieces of red pepper, 2-3 pieces of zucchini, and a few slices of tomato on bottom ⅓ of wrapper.
- Fold sides of roll and then pull up the bottom of the roll and roll over the filling. Tuck filling in as you go, rolling very tightly.
- Repeat until all 10 wrappers have been filled and rolled.
- Serve with dipping sauce & enjoy!
Makes 10 Rolls. Calories Per Roll with dipping sauce: 81 / Carbs 12g / Fat 3g / Protein 4g
Calories per Roll without dipping sauce: 69 / Carbs 11g / Fat 2g / Protein 3g
Looking for more low-calorie snacks?
If you need more high-quality, nutrient-packed snacks that won’t hurt your healthy eating efforts, try IdealBar, a convenient snack bar that helps you slim down and stay that way.
IdealBar comes in handy individual wrappers that you can toss right into your purse, desk drawer, or gym bag. IdealBar comes in five delicious flavors including S’Mores and Strawberry Yogurt! Even better, each IdealBar provides you with 10g of protein, 5g of healthy fiber, and 24 vitamins and minerals.
Spring right into your summer shape with IdealBar!