Are you looking to add some color and veggies to your breakfast? There are so many ways you can sneak a little more health into your meals, and beets add so much nutritional value!
Try these gorgeous red pancakes and let us know how you like them!
Heart Healthy Pancakes
2 small beets, cooked and cooled
2/3 c white whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 large egg
1 tbsp. honey
1 scoop Vanilla IdealShake
3/4 c unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel beets and cut into smaller pieces. Place them in a baking dish, with a couple tablespoons of water. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes until they are cooked through.
- Combine the flour and baking powder in a large bowl and set aside.
- Blend the cooked beets and almond milk until smooth. Add the protein powder, egg, and honey and blend again until combined.
- Add this mixture to the flour mixture. Mix with a hand whisk until you have a classic pancake batter consistency. Do not over mix.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat. Spray your skillet with non-stick cooking spray and pour batter onto the skillet into 3”-4” pancake shapes. Cook for 2-3 minutes, and when the pancakes start to bubble, flip and cook the other side for 1-2 minutes more. The batter should give you 10 pancakes depending on how big you make them.
Optional: Top pancakes with sugar-free syrup, berries, sugar-free cool-whip…whatever your heart desires!